Singleton: Shaped by Life

Experiences Building Character

MATTHEWS, NC – What happens in a person’s young adult life has the power to shape one’s character and achieve one’s goals. This concept is definitely evident in the life of  Carmel Christain School’s Assistant Athletic Director Jeremy Singleton.

Mr. Singleton attended Charles E. Jordan High School in Durham, North Carolina, where he played multiple sports, including football and basketball. When it came to teaching life lessons, football reigned supreme teaching Mr. Singleton, “life is hard, but you can do it.” 

After high school, Mr. Singleton attended Appalachian State University. However, his time at Appalachian was not without its trials. Mr. Singleton said, “At App there was stigma that most non-white students were athletes.” This stigma led to frequent acts of racism on campus. 

He recalled a particularly significant moment during a gym class when he was running along the campus loop, “A truck drove by and a man ‘yelled go back to Africa’… this was a turning point in my life in that it kind of shaped my outlook on the world,” said Mr. Singleton.  

However, his experience at Appalachian certainly wasn’t all negative. Mr. Singleton said, “ I found my best friends at that school and made memories I will remember for the rest of my life.”

All of his experiences helped create Mr. Singleton’s positive outlook on life and on the world which he said, “will be shaped by future graduates and some being those that attend Carmel [Christian].” 

4 Comments

1. Avatar
  2. Avatar
  3. Avatar
  4. Avatar