Student Spotlight: Grace Daniels

Student Spotlight: Grace Daniels

By Elizabeth Poarch, Staff Writer

MATTHEWS, NC- Proving that anyone, no matter how young, can make a difference, Grace Daniels, Carmel Christian freshman, founded Laps for Love at the age of 10 in 2015. 

Laps for Love’s mission is to serve Charlotte’s homeless community through the sport of swimming. To that end, Laps for Love donates 100 percent of the funds raised to the Charlotte Rescue Mission; this partnership has raised more than $250,000 in total for those in need. 

As Charlotte’s population continues to grow, so does the number of homeless. According to WFAE, there are an estimated 1,700 homeless citizens in Mecklenburg county, a 13 percent increase from the previous year. Grace’s effort to aid this epidemic has far reaching ramifications. 

Grace aspires to, “be a role model for younger kids by showing them that you don’t have to be an adult to accomplish amazing things. Kids can make just as much of a difference!”

Laps for Love is run by a board of seven student leaders who want to impact the lives of the marginalized. The board meets monthly to discuss and plan upcoming events. Laps for Love’s theme verse is John 15:12: “My command is this: Love each other the way I have loved you.”

To learn more about Laps for Love and how you can make a difference, visit https://charlotterescuemission.org/ways-to-give/