Google sued by the Department of Justice

Carmel+Christian+student+using+her+preferred+browser+on+the+Google+platform.+

Laura Beth Lynch

Carmel Christian student using her preferred browser on the Google platform.

Laura Beth Lynch, Staff Writer

Google. Everyone knows it, everyone loves it. It’s easy, convenient and has the clever holiday cartoons and games that everyone is willing to waste five minutes of their day on. What’s not to love?

Well, not everything about Google is happy holiday bliss.

Google, as of October 20th of this year, has been served a lawsuit from the Department of Justice for holding an illegal monopoly over the tech industry and for violating several antitrust laws.

Essentially, they are too good at their job to where no other company can compete with Google services.

Constantly going the extra mile, the one trillion dollar mammoth of a company is able to stay on top of the tech industry, specifically with their search engine component. But the way they secure this superior status isn’t always ethical.

“The Justice Department accused Google of shutting out rivals through tactics like paying phone companies and others to ensure that Google’s web search engine has a prominent position on Android smartphones and on iPhones,” said the New York Times. 

Google stays on top by throwing money at various phone companies to ensure their brand as the default search engine.

According to the Justice Department, “Google has entered into a series of exclusionary agreements that collectively lock up the primary avenues through which users access search engines, and thus the internet, by requiring that Google be set as the preset default general search engine on billions of mobile devices and computers worldwide and, in many cases, prohibiting pre installation of a competitor.” 

The Department of Justice is accusing the company of maintaining a monopoly on the tech industry by paying millions of dollars for Google to be installed on all technical devices as the default browser.

“The antitrust laws protect our free market economy and forbid monopolists from engaging in anticompetitive practices” said the Department of Justice. 

Google has offset the antitrust laws with the current way they operate, there is simply no room for competition. 

“Google has foreclosed any meaningful search competitor from gaining vital distribution and scale, eliminating competition for a majority of search queries in the United States”. 

For years Google has stomped out any and all of their competition, but the DOJ is finally attempting to minimize their influence by pressing legal charges. Yet, Google seems to be unaffected by the pending lawsuit. 

A limited survey of Carmel students was conducted regarding Google’s unethical strategies and argued monopoly on the market.

Almost 100% of the students polled said that Google’s pending lawsuit would not hinder their use of the search engine. When questioned if Google should be penalized for their monopolist behavior, most students surveyed said that they “couldn’t care less” and that “Google has earned it.”

So, with the looming lawsuit, why is Google still the favored search engine by billions of users?

Well, for starters they have the resources to dictate the course of the technology market and ensure their brand as ubiquitous.

But another factor that plays into Google’s success is their aesthetically pleasing layout. Students from the previously specified survey said that they use Google for its layout and structure which offers the best user experience out of available search engines.

Additionally, Google has the remarkable ability to queue a variety of search results crafted specifically to fit the user’s preferences in mere milliseconds.

Some CCS students offered that while they didn’t “like the ideals [Google] promoted” or “its monopoly over the internet,” they will still continue to use this company for its ease and efficiency.

Nonetheless, Google has managed to captivate consumers regardless of their cutthroat business techniques. Their users pledge loyalty to this product for ease and efficiency regardless of legal or moral ramifications. 

So what’s next for King Google? Another antitrust lawsuit is to be pressed in early December, but it could take months, years even, for Google to officially go to court. Google has the resources to fight long and hard, but until a decision is reached, the company will remain top dog of the tech industry.