Mask on, tip off

@clt.films

Junior Cade Tyson playing despite COVID restrictions. He still continues to play well even while wearing a mask.

Ella Boyce, Managing Editor

The CCS women’s varsity basketball team has endured dramatic changes this year.  From a normal game that hosted an overflow of fans in previous years to playing in an empty gym this year, COVID placed restrictive protocols on the men’s and women’s basketball teams which hinder players from having a normal season.  

Players are now permitted to have one parent attend their games and players are also required to wear a mask for the entirety of the game.  With no fans permitted, traditions are also being disrupted such as the homecoming game and the senior night game. 

“Being a senior, it is upsetting to only be able to have a parent at my games since it is my last season,” senior forward Kennedy Robinson said.

Although they are unable to have fans, many players are just happy to be able to get to play and have a season, even if the circumstances cause them to make adjustments.

“It feels really different playing without fans.  I enjoy away games more now than home games because it feels more like a practice when we play at home,” senior guard Bryson Pisacano said, “Playing in front of our fans and our student section helps our team in a lot of ways, and not having that home court advantage will be something we have to adjust to throughout this year.”.

Both the men’s and women’s teams made it to states last year, and now have lost and gained players which is another factor that changes this season for the Cougars. 

“We lost a lot of players to different schools and circumstances, but we gained Caroline Cady, who is a great addition to the starting lineup.  There are a lot of new players who are feeling out for the team for the first time,” junior forward Bella Mendieta said.

Both teams have been working hard since summer to build up their team and get prepared for the season. Although they are facing many challenges this year they are continuing to work hard and keep a positive attitude about the circumstances.